Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Poppop & Memaw

Me and my Poppop 1978

My paternal grandfather and I were thick as thieves right off the bat. We shared many things. One of our favorite things was Memaw's wonderful cooking. My Memaw's Sunday dinners were more comforting than a warm blanket fresh out of the dryer! As a child the whole family gathered at their house every other Sunday for scrumptious meals of hearty roast beef with carrots and onions, green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and squash casserole. I can still remember the smells as we would walk through the door after church. Our stomachs rumbled as we had to sit patiently and wait for my father and my aunts who were notoriously late every time. The television blasted scenes from old country western movies while Memaw would work on a cake, because we were always close to someone's birthday. And "Memaw Cake" was the best. The only difference each time was the number of candles on top!

Me, my sister Chelsea, & Memaw

Me & my cute cousin McLain 1993

Memaw aka Jacquelyn Shivers Howard

McLain, me, my sister Olivia, & Memaw 1996

No comments: