Thursday, November 20, 2008

Greatmomma's Dressing Recipe

My wonderful grandmother, who we so fondly called Greatmomma, passed away in 2001. She was famous for many things, but around this time of year we remember her cooking. Mainly her dressing balls. They are so yummy, and for some reason I woke up the year of her passing thinking that the recipe came to me in a dream. Probably in all reality, I watched her make it or asked her to tell me how she made it enough times that it just stuck in the depths of my brain somewhere. I wanted to post a few pictures of my family's Thanksgiving last year and I thought I would also share the famous dressing ball recipe.

Enjoy!!

GREATMOMMA'S DRESSING BALLS

2 pkg. Jiffy corn muffin mix (cooked as cornbread according to the directions on the box. You can do this a day or 2 in advance.)
1 pkg. Pepperidge Farms Herb Stuffing Mix
6 - 8 stalks of celery - diced very small
2 large yellow onions - diced very small
1 stick of unsalted butter
a bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley - roughly chopped
a bunch of fresh sage - chopped fine
2 quarts of chicken stock (get more just in case)
salt & pepper to taste

Mix your cornbread according to the directions on the box. Heat a small black skillet in the oven with a pat of butter. Pour the cornbread mix into the hot skillet and cook. After it's finished, crumble the cornbread into a large mixing bowl and repeat. After both cornbreads are in the bowl, add the stuffing mix and one of the quarts of chicken stock. In another skillet on the stove, add an entire stick of butter over medium low heat. Once it melts, add all of the onions and celery. Sauté this until the onions are translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the onions and celery to your large mixing bowl along with all of your herbs. Add the remaining quart of chicken stock slowly to get the right consistency. Mix all of this together until combined. It should be wet, but manageable and you should be able to form it into balls with your hands. Place each ball (about the size of a tennis ball) onto a nonstick cookie sheet and press slightly to sort of make an egg or small loaf shape. Bake at 350º until the outside browns a little and the inside is still moist and fabulous!!

If you want to really spice things up, you can add a package of sage pork sausage that's been browned and crumbled. Make sure to drain it over paper towels before adding it to your dressing mixture.


Photobucket
My Aunt Dancey and sisser Chelsea

Photobucket
Aunt Dancey's beautiful table setting

Photobucket
the Sanders dining room in all it's glory

Photobucket
Aunt Dancey's amazing centerpiece

Photobucket
Uncle Nip and Cousin Haynes

Photobucket
Dana, Chelsea, and Dancey cooking away!

Photobucket
dining room looks perfect!

Photobucket
time to eat

Photobucket
save room for dessert

Photobucket
awww... my cousin Chenault and yours truly!

2 comments:

kellyleake said...

WOW those sound amazing! Loved the Coq au vin! I will try the balls this this year because my cousin Patty makes the most awful dressing. It smells like mildew and makes my son sick when she forces it on him. I'll see how it works out and get back to you. Why no pics of them though? or is that them in the deserts pic?

Tenn Hens said...

I have a fan! I am new to this so I don't have pictures of stuff but I will keep going and adding new pictures all the time. I am making the dressing balls on thusday but u will be too. They work best as little loafs about the size of your fist so each person gets one. I'll post lots more after the holidays! Thank you for your interest!