Monday, August 10, 2009

I LOVE Julia!


Last night the women of my family went to see the new movie Julie & Julia. I absolutely loved it! The inspirational tale of 2 women trying to make something happen in their lives through food and cooking. It was right up my alley. I couldn't wait to get home and start thinking of my ideas. How can I improve what I'm doing here? I love my blog and I think I had a pretty good idea at first, but I can only show you what I eat for so long before it gets boring. I think I'm going to try some new directions.

One idea, in similar form to my new friend Julie, would be to try out new recipes from my existing cobweb coated collection at home. When my maternal grandmother passed away 8 years ago, I wanted to keep every single thing that belonged to her. I have boxes of old costume jewelry, hats, scarves, and many other things. But one of my most treasured things is my collection of her cookbooks. They all still have multi-colored post-it notes throughout them so she could remember which recipes she enjoyed or had made, or wanted to make again. I open them to these pages often and think about her and why she picked that particular recipe. Why did she want to make a French Cassoulet? Was she having a dinner party? I've looked at these books time and time again, but I have never actually worked through any of the recipes. In fact, I abhor following recipes. I always tell myself that I am a way better cook than anyone else and using a recipe would be ridiculous and unnecessary. After seeing this movie, I am starting to think that maybe I don't have the patience necessary to follow a recipe. I think I might give it a try.

So, with my sweet grandmother's collection in hand, I might try and work my way through some of the recipes that she's marked. And of course, I'll keep you posted along the way.

Oh, and by the way, if you have a copy of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" but haven't ever really looked through it... open it up. Read the forward. I could practically hear Julia's voice reading it to me. And I am officially inspired!

No comments: